2013/03/28

Foreigner perspectives - an Egyptian in the Azores





As the researchers always wandering in search of a suitable atmosphere for their research, I came from Egypt to the Azores hoping to find my target. Maybe you will ask me, ‘How could you leave such historical and touristic country to come to an isolated island?’ But, interestingly, I will answer you that I found in the Azores both attractive elements for scientific work and for social life.

I have started my journey within these wonderful islands in 2009, when the University of the Azores, represented by one of the dignified professors, accepted me as a Ph.D. student at the Department of Agrarian Sciences. During my stay, I became closer to the Azorean people, who make me wonder, ‘how could these people accept others so smoothly?’ Not only that, but also they try hard to make more effort to let you enjoy your stay and after all of these, you will always listen one question, ‘are you enjoying your stay here in the Azores?’ Really, they are amazing people.

As for my work, I found the laboratories of the university containing sufficient equipment, which allows the researchers to go through their scientific research.

Moreover, the university here supports most of the participations in national and international conferences, to enrich the scientific exchange. Eventually, even if my Azorean life has not finish yet, but by the end of this journey, I discovered that I gained more than what I aimed, a lot of friends, nice memories, besides my Ph.D., and also a little boy learned and speaks Portuguese very well and he always argues with me if I did not pronounce the words conveniently, as he wishes.


Marwa Faheem

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário